GRAPHIC DESIGN DEPARTMENT AUDITION INSTRUCTIONS
I. Portfolio Upload - photographs of 3 to 6 pieces of original artwork that includes the following:
1. A self-portrait, done from observation (from observation means you draw yourself by looking in a mirror).
2. A still life, done from observation (from observation means you draw a group of objects placed before you on a table).
3. You may choose the remaining 1 to 4 pieces you wish to include. Pieces can be created using any material in any form, and may be two-dimensional, three-dimensional, or motion graphics. Acceptable file formats: .jpeg, .png, .ai, .pdf, .psd, .tif, .mp4, Quicktime, .mov, .gif,
II. Student Introduction
Upload a short video or written explanation about the uploaded pieces of original artwork in your portfolio. Discuss choice of subject & materials, motivation, & influences. Why would you choose graphic design as a possible major at Art & Design? Your video should be no longer than 2 minutes. Written explanations should be no more than 500 words.
III. Virtual Performance Task: Figure Drawing
In addition to your portfolio works, please submit photographs of one figure drawing with in-progress photos. Using pencil and paper, draw the human figure. Make sure you draw the entire figure and fit it on the page – do not cut off parts of the head or feet. Draw your figure with realistic proportions. Try to use value (shading) or lines to draw the folds on the clothes. Include any observed details & draw the facial features. Include background elements in the room to place the figure in a space (such as chair, window, table, lamp or any other elements) to prevent them from floating in the air. You may choose to pose a friend or family member.
The drawing should be completed within 30-45 minutes. We are looking to see how you develop your drawing. Please take photographs of your work throughout your drawing and submit 4 photographs for the drawing at the follow times:
1. A photograph in 5 minutes.
2. A photograph at 10 minutes.
3. A photograph at 20 minutes.
4. A photograph of the completed drawing at 30-45 minutes.
IV. Creative Drawing – MTA Subway Poster Advertisement
*If you are applying to Art and Design High School and/or Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music and Art and Performing Art, submit this creative drawing. This is optional for programs.
A new chain of restaurants just opened in your neighborhood and you must design a poster to be displayed on the NYC subway promoting this new restaurant’s special sandwich: The most _______ sandwich in NYC!
Create a name for the restaurant and the sandwich
Include a slogan for what is so ‘special’ about this sandwich.
Design must include an image and brief description of the sandwich, name of the restaurant, name of the sandwich and a slogan for the headline.
Use your imagination! Have fun with this!
Schools may invite you to “call backs” for other school specific requirements.
You can view the Audition Rubric HERE