Timeline

  • On November 8, 1936, four art teachers, Henry Cordes, Mildred Harston, John B. Kenny (for whom the Kenny Gallery is named) and Jerod Magon began what was to become the High School of Art and Design.  
  • First named the School of Industrial Arts in a former Manhattan elementary school at 257 West 40th Street, which for a time had housed a WPA Federal Theatre Project locale.  
  • Initially, school desks were made from plywood and orange crates.
  • Although first envisioned as a continuation school - a school where children who had left school and secured jobs attended for half days to continue their education, normally including vocational classes relevant to their current or possible future jobs,  the school opened as a vocational high school with students attending full-time.
  • The first class consisted of 121 students and 8 teachers.
  • One of the co-founders, John B. Kenny, became principal in 1941.
  • The school soon moved to a building on East 79th Street in the former annex to Benjamin Franklin High School.
  • In September of 1960 the school changed its name to the High School of Art and Design and moved to 1075 Second Avenue.
  • On November 8, 2004 a rally was scheduled on the school's 68th anniversary.  This was to include a press conference at which increased support would be urged.
  • On November 8, 2006 the school celebrated its 70th anniversary.  The office of the Mayor of New York City issued a proclamation making November 8 the "High School of Art & Design Day".